Eating Disorder Recovery
Healing eating disorders and body image issues is a challenge that requires gentleness, compassion, a willingness to change, and a body-mind-spirit approach. I am happy to share my 15+ years experience in eating disorder prevention & treatment in both individual counselling & group workshops. We will focus on compassionate ways to heal from eating disorders and body image issues through mindfulness, trauma therapy, acceptance & commitment therapy, and self-care to help you on your journey of finding peace with your body. We will explore how your history has affected your sense of connection with yourself and your ability to care for your body, and develop a holistic plan to make the changes you need to live a full, healthy, embodied life!
Current 18+ support group offered through Silver Linings Foundation (click for details)
Please inquire about upcoming youth support groups & yoga-centered recovery.
Individual Counselling & Consultation
I will first listen with compassion to your story, then work with you to develop a treatment plan that involves individualized counselling utilizing a holistic body-mind-soul approach to help you move forward in life with joy & ease. Treatment may involve a narrative approach (redefining your story), a cognitive approach (analyzing your beliefs & approaches to the situation), a body-centered approach (experiencing your feelings & the wisdom of the body), a trauma approach (EMDR), behavioural changes (creating healthy self-care), and/or a spiritual approach (seeking spiritual guidance).
I am committed to providing best practices in counselling, assessment, and consultation for the following life issues:
- Eating Disorders, Body Image, Weight-related issues
- Trauma, Burnout, Adrenal Fatigue
- Anxiety, Depression, Loss
- Graduate Student & Professional Issues & Burnout
- Life Transitions, Supported Decision Making
- Parent/Child Relationships, Parental Alienation
- Divorce issues/Co-parenting
Counselling & Assessment for Children & Adolescents
I am committed to helping children understand their world and express themselves fully.
Sometimes it is difficult for children to talk with their parents about issues, and sometimes it is hard for parents to listen. Supported, creative therapy through art, puppetry, sand play, storytelling, and animal assisted therapy with an expert child therapist can help children to express themselves, resolve issues, and heal relationships. Psycho-educational and socio-emotional assessments can help to determine your child’s strengths and provide professional recommendations to help address challenging issues.
Are you worried about your child experiencing:
- Body Image/Eating Disorders/Self Harm
- Emotional Issues (anxiety, separation anxiety, sadness, grief, anger)
- Behavioural Issues (school avoidance, bullying)
- Difficulties at school (academic, social)
- Challenges with autism (anxiety, trauma)
- Child/Parent Relationship issues
- Divorce/Custody Issues/Parental Alienation
Does your child need a psycho-educational assessment?
I conduct comprehensive assessments for cognitive, academic, behavioural, giftedness, and socio-emotional issues. As a previous teacher, I am able to provide concise and relevant recommendations for schools, and work with parents to create the changes needed to help children thrive.
Professional Speaking & Training
I am passionate about sharing my expertise to help parents, teachers, & organizations improve the lives of youth as well as their own health & wellness. I have extensive experience speaking with and training large & small organizations, as well as providing best practice information for the media. Interactive presentations range from 1.5-2 hours. Please inquire about professional fees.
- Eating Disorders Awareness Week (Feb 1-7, 2018)
- Preventing Eating Disorders & Body Image Issues in Youth
- Stop the Body War: Healing Women’s Body Image Issues
- Why NOT Weight?: Helping Clients Address Weight-related Issues (for counselling and health care professionals)
- The History of the (Mis)Treatment of Anorexia: A Feminist Perspective
- Youth Mental Health & Wellness
- Social Justice: The Courage to Create Change
- Fanning the Flames: Healing Burnout & Adrenal Fatigue
- The Critical Importance of Self-Care for Graduate Students
- Please inquire about areas of specialization that may meet your organization’s needs.
Please inquire about available dates for workshops and professional speaking. Spring and Summer dates are filling up quickly!
Appointments & Fees
- Daytime appointments are available for counselling.
- Fees are in line with the Psychologists Association of Alberta ($200 per hour for individuals, $225 per hour for families)
- Please inquire about dates and fees for workshops and professional speaking.
- Please inquire about childcare options.
- Individual & group counselling services may be reimbursed in whole or part by extended health care plans.
- Services may also be a tax-deductible medical expense.